Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #113
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: kamae problem

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Chris
Makes more and more sense as time goes on doesn't it? Even with this recent attempt at translating an established model as "eddies and swirls" we both know about spiraling the legs; since spiraling the legs is ages old (and the founder mentioned spiraling elsewhere as well), what do we do now... debate something millions know about and where it fits in with so many other arts? And with whom?
Well, it's clear to me - I would think that the case is getting solid enough that it ought to be clear to everybody. There are just too many telltale markers.

Quote:
This bring up another question tied in with Josh's observation.
Quote:
"Well, technically he didn't specifically say 'hanmi'; he said 'open the feet in six directions'." That doesn't address the problem. The purpose of translation is to communicate ideas from one language to the other. "Open the feet in six directions", the direct translation, makes no sense prima facie; it requires some note or explanation of what that term means.
No offense to Josh - but this is how we got into trouble in the first place - translation without really understanding the terms being used, and just concluding that they make no sense unless changed into something else.

Quote:
I suggest, (as several deshi also admit) that they didn't get it and they didn't care. and were actually not capable of nor versed in these concepts and hence had no real ability to translate them correctly. Some have even admitted they regret not listening to him more.

We may have some interesting days ahead as people capable of the translation work get more experienced and conversant in internal principles and skills that Ueshiba was actually doing and researching.
Dan
However innocently it happened - we were bamboozled. Now's our chance to get back on track - I just hope that we don't f**k it up.

Best,

Chris