View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
Pete Rihaczek
United_States
Re: Tension in "soft" application

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Peter, I was just trying to explain very clearly what I was learning as a centerpiece for discussion. It seems that, what I am doing has no real relation to what Mike imagines is qi or is useful to aikido, even though I might think otherwise. So that, yes, people could comment, "Okay, this just isn't anything related at all" or "that's stupid", or even discussion of how one might take such machinery and apply it to how they practiced aikido, or if there really is any utility in doing so.
OK, that makes a bit more sense. Thing is, you're writing an awful lot of stuff, and it's difficult to grasp a physical description based on words, unfortunately. What you're describing sounds like some videos of Yiquan that I've seen, which is unsurprising considering they were probably from the Hans. From the description it sounded pretty rough, which would make it different from what Mike does and I think Rob as well, but who knows. It may be a valid approach though, it's just something where you would have to meet up and feel things. Ultimately no internet description has ever come close to being a substitute for that. Aikido definitely seems softer than that approach, but it really depends on what's being developed in the process. So, it sounds different, could be somewhere in the spectrum of approaches, but there's really no way to say unless you can meet Mike, Rob, etc.