View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 03:50 AM   #5
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Rheumatoid arthritis and aikido...

Hej Stefan

First and foremost I would like to mention two kinds of certain training-methods that helped me dealing with my rheumatikc disease. Albeit it was not arthritis but a certain kind of soft-tissue rheumatism, actually also affecting one of my eyes.

After having dealt with this typ of rheumatism for about 10 years, starting a certain typ of qi gong and also nei gong helped a lot. Eventually I even didn't need medication any more. The chronic Inflammation finally ceased.
According to rheumatologist practicing qi gong / nei gong is well known to have this effect on rheumatic diseases.

Second method that goes together with this and also connects to aikidō was the Body Work of Dan Harden. For it teaches to use the body in a certain way that doesn't rely on muscular strength and helps to move in very soothing way. But nevertheless developps great strength.

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
How do I develop my techniques so that I can truly achieve optimum effectiveness with a minimum of "muscular effort".
Both methods of practice are closely linked to the certain way of practicing aikidō of Endō Seishiro.
It is not only very soft, using body structure and internal movement instead of great muscular strength, but also a way calming the body just like practicing qi gong and Body Work.

Actually these three methods or ways of practicing are one and the same. And alltogether they improved my physical state considerably. I am happy to say that I'm free of any medical conditions by now.

Quote:
What is reasonable in terms of "etiquette". If you basically cannot receive any of the osae-waza, cannot roll (not to mention tobu ukemi), cringe at the idea of kote gaeshi -- and don't mention shiho nage, and have to bow out after 10 minutes... Can you expect club members to put up with being almost exclusively nage when training with me?
In my aikidō-world it is commonly accepted to be only nage. It must be said, that we usually change partners relatively often. And learning ukemi is seen as important part of practice.

Quote:
Is it ok to do walk on-walk off training, sitting out certain techniques just to be able to "survive" the lesson?
My teacher has an issue in regard to his hips. He is a rokudan, he is fluent in Japanese and well known to some Japanese shihan, visits hombu every year et patati et patata ...
... and he has a chair in his dōjō to sit down after demonstrating and while watching his students practice what he just showed. He is of my age ...

Quote:
Is it ok to expect your training comrades to treat your whole body as made of glass?
To deliver oneself, one's body during practice to one's Partner is a priceless gift. And it should be handled that way.
According to Endō sensei - and all other teachers I know - aikidō is about helping each other grow and becoming free. So, if the body of your partner is made of glass, it's a good opportunity to learn to deal with it in a way that doesn't break him ...

Quote:
Is it ok to go to Iwama if you have to sit for several days and just watch if there happens to be a flareup when you're there???
I've experiencde people travelling only to look on Endō sensei teaching. mitori keiko - training by watching - is a certain practice in itself ...

Quote:
What risks should you reasonably take in order to train, where do you actually decide to quit for the evening ...
I think, to learn to decide this by yourself is one of the most important aspects of practicing budō.

Ganbatte kudasai!
Carry on practicing and adapt your practice to whatever your needs may be. It is my experience that your partners will learn a lot.

All the best to you!
Carsten Möllering