View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Is it me, or is it getting hypocritical in here?

People are passionate about their stuffs. (Obligatory Phi reference.) They're bound to argue. Passionate debate is never bloodless, even among competent people who respect each other.

And be honest about what the internet is; It's a mix of the competent and the incompetent, the informed and the poseurs, the people who really want to know and the people who really do know and the people who really want everyone else to think they know but don't want to do the work to find out.

How is this ever going to be tidy? If you want tidy, go to church. Actually, no, don't. Those ladies and gents make us look like a pat-a-cake circle.

I would much rather read a forum where person X, who has 30 years understanding multiple martial arts in depth, understands the language, and has the respect of the masters of other arts--and we have more than a few of those here, do you get how astoundingly lucky you are? 30 years ago you'd never even hear of these guys--completely shreds person Y who has frittered around on the edge of the same topics without ever really going deep or understanding the issues. Even if the interaction between X and Y isn't pretty, I'll learn from it. I'd learn nothing at all from X going, "Isn't that nice. Well, I value your opinion."

So take the bad with the good, ignore the trolls, and don't think the process of getting to world peace was ever going to be peaceful.