View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Believe in aikido

I see we have had a spirited discussion on our own personal beliefs, and if they are altered with our studies and new practice of Aikido?

Does the doctrine of your religion clash with the practice of Aikido. Or ... does your belief in the practical defenses of Aikido entice you to form certain doctrines of belief when you study Aikido?

Like many older practitioners, I am interested in not only the practices and beiliefs of all spiritual faiths and religions, but how they have universal truths, or if they are affected by the self interests of organizations, or particular leaders. This particularly applies to those with strong religious convictions that are designed to maintain blind faith in a particular doctrine so the faithful don't wander off the chosen path.

I can take or leave this type of thinking to indoctrinate and maintain followers, but Aikido strength is not only the physical training but the moral and spiritual character we carry as we train.

Do you carry certain beliefs of Aikido's training to lead to a spiritual goal, or is it another passtime that must fit within your present doctrines both spiritual and religious guidelines?