Thread: Folding Hakama
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 05:50 AM   #16
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Edward! I'm back from having the flu....
Quote:
Edward Karaa (Edward) wrote:
I have noticed that teachers and visiting instructors would give their hakama to be folded by one of the students that they particularly appreciate, or to whom they have some affection or esteem.
I like that scenario much better than the one I painted where the student with the lowest grade should do the job. Much more of a gesture - a connection - than a chore. A question of words perhaps but important for the whole atmosphere and the interpersonal relations in the dojo.

I concider myself quite an egalitarian just like Patrik , but I still believe there is nothing wrong in expecting the students to make an effort for the dojo and be helpful to those who teach them, as long as it is done in harmony with the way the sensei thinks and the society in generel works around the dojo. It's quite okay to practice disciplin and humility as long as it dosen't become phony.

What I'm getting at is, that it shouldn't be necessary to tell people more than once, that the dojo needs to be cleaned now and then, that it is concidered bad form to arrive late (especially if you do not apologize once you get on the mat), that one shouldn't wear shoes on the mat, that food is to be kept OFF the mat, that talking is only appropriate in some situations etc. etc.

However these rules should never be rules just for the sake of rules, but acts of concidereation that one should have the disciplin to live up to in order to create the best possible learning situation for everybody.

Then again - I am not just an egalitarian - I'm also a bit of an idealist

Just my thoughts

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration