Thread: Aches and Pains
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Aches and Pains

Quote:
Owen Matchim wrote:
I found massage helps (when I started Aikido I took a bad fall, hurt my shoulder and kept rolling on it until it got worse) but it's expensive.
Does it still bother you? When I injured my shoulder the ONLY thing that helped it was rest and immobilization. Training slowly/carefully didn't allow it to heal. I had to stop training for a short while to let my body take care of itself...small price to pay in the long run. As for massage you might try looking for some local massage schools. Some of the ones around here will have the senior students give massages for very discounted rates.

Quote:
Owen Matchim wrote:
Just wondering if anyone had any advice on getting rid of aches and pains and things of that nature. It seems like I'm always stiff or sore or something. There must be a good way to get rid of it and I was wondering if anyone found a way.
Rest. What is your training schedule like? Are you hittin' the mat hard for 3 hours every night? I had to to cut my training back to about half of what I was doing to find balance for my body, mind, and non-aikido life. Had I not cut back I would have burned out and quit years ago....now I take a much longer view of my training. Thinking in years instead of weeks/months.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."