View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #1648
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
That's just ridiculous. So it's only a fight if your attackers are on drugs or completely insane? Because any sane attacker is going to (at least potentially) recognize that (a) no, this person isn't as helpless as I thought, or (b) uh oh, I'm about to get my butt kicked, or (c) this is taking too long, they might get help, or (d) screw it, let's go find a little old lady instead.... and disengage.

Bad guys are just as capable of risk vs. reward calculations as anyone else. A "scuffle" could easily become a full-blown "fight" if the bad guy decides he can get away with it. A "fight" could easily moderate to a "scuffle" if the bad guy decides today isn't a good day to die. And yes, the behavior of the potential victim absolutely determines which happens.

Katherine
No it's only a fight if your attackers actually intend serious harm. It's actually really quite rare for this to be the case, millions of people get mugged or assaulted very year and very few are seriously injured and many of these situations are resolved just as well by people with no training.

Demonstrating that you can get rid of four guys that don't want to fight by showing that you do want to fight isn't really a demonstration of martial skill, it's more a demonstration of the lengths even muggers will go to in avoiding harm to themselves. Confusing the two isn't helpful.