View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #81
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: "Irimi" by Ellis Amdur

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
1. The article is from a koryu perspective. But it's not at all realistic for aikido and taijutsu and tachidori. If I have a sword and you don't - and I'm determined to strike you - if you don't get off the line or run away you die. Simple. You can try it 100 times. You will be hit 100 times. I have no doubt about it. The only way an entry works on the line of a weapon strike - sword strike, spear thrust or bottle or brick swing - is if the uke is inexperienced. Or fake.
isn't one of the aikido sensei said that we shouldn't demonstrate tachidori, because there are real swordmen in the audience and we would be the laughing stock. if i have a sword and you don't, you can get off the line all days and i can still cut you, even when i go all out in shomen. from shomen to yokomen cut is just a slight rotation of the hips, no even that.

Quote:
2. Irimi in aikido isn't getting out of the way and then doing something. It's a sen no sen entry simultaneously getting off the line. That's why we say sokumen irimi. It's a straight line entry to the flank. Try that 100 times against an opponent with a sword. You won't be hit 100 times. In some years you won't be hit at all. That's a pretty simple comparison. Enter straight - certain death. Enter to the flank - possible life - probable life - certain life. What budoka wouldn't choose that?
from my point of view, enter straight, you might have a chance. you aren't going to flank me if my attention is to cut you. this remind me of the movie Red October, with Sean Connery as Capt Ramius. in the movie, Capt Ramius ordered the Red October submarine to head straight into the path of the torpedo. the other Capt thought he was crazy, until the submarine and the torpedo collided where the torpedo broke apart. the torpedo didn't explode because Capt Ramius closed the distance before it could armed the warhead. same in this case, head straight in. must willing to die in order to live.

Quote:
3. That kenjutsu sword strike is a go no sen strike within a kata. You have to wait for the attacker to strike and then rely on experience and timing. In aikido we don't wait for anything.
just as above, can't wait. head straight in, and force the other person to strike before they are ready. it's a guerrilla warfare tactic, hit and run and be sneaky. and guerrilla warfare is about disadvantage force against superior force; in this case, the other person armed and you are not. it's the unexpected thing.

Quote:
4. I wouldn't recommend your irimi with the body to a 50kg woman against a big guy like you. Aikido isn't just a budo for big guys. It's for anyone.
and here i thought aikido is for big people, since i saw lots of big folks in aikido. the invention of gun gave the 50kg woman an equalizer to big guys. as i said, when you are in a disadvantage, do the unexpected. most folks don't expect small person attacking a big person.

Quote:
5. I don't agree about the place to occupy in irimi. You think that we should take the space the opponent is trying to occupy. Not in aikido we don't. We let the opponent take the space they want. What we do is give them no choice. So that they want to take the space that we want them to take. I think this is a fundamental difference in philosophy.
if you move to strike me, your body, for example your head, has to be in a certain location. if as you fully committed in the movement, and found a fist occupied the space where your head need to be, what you think you would do next? i just want to put my fist and/or my foot first where your body need to be in order to strike me, whether you want to continue to occupy the same space with my body weapons is up to you. the bold highlighted should be changed to "Not in my aikido we don't". other people's aikido might do differently.

an old video of Saotome sensei http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZk7Eha1Us he did quite a bit of irimi. i can almost hear some folks said "that's not aikido!"

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org