View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #11
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Aikijujutsu kicks butt

Quote:
Roy Leclair wrote:
Thank you for the replies. The one thing I could not help feeling when I read the replies was, that most of the replies are from the states!! I remember going to an Aikido summer camp in Seattle, Washington with a few dojo members and the dojo‘s Sensei. After the first day I realized the dojo hosting the camp was not only step above what I was used too, but also it was more of a self defense dojo; but, the dojo also had a great aura of respectfulness. But here's the funny thing! This was the parent dojo of our dojo, and the main 7th Dan instructor said ," Aikido is a self defense not a way of life." This to me was a shock!!! It was Blasphemy, almost taboo . He basically said the opposite of what my Sensei told us at least every second day, which was, "Aikido is a way of life and not a self defense." I swear I could not look my sensei in the eyes, for well, because it was awkward in a funny way. Then the 7th Dan was showing us moves that again was ironically, for the most part taboo and would never-ever be shown at our dojo in Canada. So, if and when I ever write a thread, keep these points in mind. First, Canucks are pretty mellow, and two, smoking marijuana here is legal in Canada!
This post of yours just strengthens my previous suggestion:
look for other dojo, where both the atmosphere and the direction of the teaching will be to your liking. The teacher is much more important then the name of the M.A.

Amir