View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Comprehensive Yoseikan Budo book in ENGLISH!!!

Quote:
Michael Crowell wrote: View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking these questions, I am sincere in asking them. I get the impression from reading about Aunkai on various message boards that Aunkai is primarliy focused on building, or forging a martial body, through physical and mental excercises and posture rather than through technique. But if budo is "all tanren", isn't budo training with technique just another exercise to build/forge the body to move as a unit? Like te hodoki, for example?
Well...yes and no. If your budo is largely calesthentics, that's not really the same as tanren. Tanren can look very similar to calesthentics but the purpose of tanren is different and very specific. Things like the sumo stomp, for instance, tai atari...

as opposed to push ups and sit ups and sheerly repetetive action as in technique. You can practice technique in a way that's closer to calesthentics than to tanren and you won't get the same effect as if you practice technique as tanren, with the attention to the specific forces at work inside your own body...

if that can give some idea. The appearance can be so close that most people will never notice a difference, but Edgar's the kind of guy you can't hide anything from. He understood that stuff a long time ago.

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com