View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #185
MM
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
I think that was a great article to post.

The bold and underline are my emphasis.

Quote:
Hakaru Mori wrote:
Whenever I thought about hijinobashi aiki I could easily recall both what Hisa Sensei had said about it and the feeling of his wrist and the back of his hand as he applied it, which made it all the more vexing that I couldn't do it. After a while I just started to forget about it and I stopped trying to figure it out. Then it happened one day, some time after Hisa Sensei's passing, I had an opportunity to take up the problem once again, and after studying it from a variety of angles, I finally discovered the needed principle that would allow me to do hijinobashi aiki successfully. Once I understood, it all seemed so simple! I realized that the key had been right under my feet all the time.

Even better, I also realized that this new-found principle could be applied to a wide range of situations other than katatedori, so that no matter where my opponent attempted to grab me or my clothing I could use it to do an effective technique without necessarily having to turn his palm up and reverse his wrist in the usual way typically done in jujutsu techniques. No matter what the specific starting position of my opponent's wrist or hand, I was able to straighten his elbow in an instant by applying just a little force in a particular way, in the process sending a shock to his body that sometimes even penetrated to his very center via his abdominal region. An opponent to whom this technique has been applied suddenly becomes unable to release his grip, finds the power draining out of his attack as he is floated upwards, and becomes subject to control by the will of the person applying the technique.
Sounds a bit like aiki age principle. Not only that, but the "stickiness" is also mentioned ("unable to release his grip"), and one of the defining qualities of aiki quoted by others -- "subject to control by the will of the person".

Looking for definitions of aiki? It's right there in that article. How many angles of jujutsu were tried and failed before the principle became clear? It isn't about angles and timing and body placement. That's all jujutsu.

NOTE: that doesn't mean jujutsu is something horrible. Quite the opposite. Jujutsu can be an awesome thing. But it is a separate entity from aiki.