View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 11:56 AM   #27
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich (bob_stra) wrote:
I'd like to add two more thoughts to this.

Secondly, I get the feeling that aiki folks poo-poo the idea of "sports competitions" / sparring et al. IMHO I view this type of thinking as a distinct detriment to the study of Aikido. Why is this opinion held so widely today?
I wonder about that myself sometimes, Bob.

To me, Competitive Aikido = Aikido against someone who knows exactly what you may do and knows exactly how to resist it.

In this practice, the integrity of your technique (kata) can only improve, since you really have to apply what you understand of the principles for them to work against skilled resistance.

This is important in the self defence scenario, as one may find themselves dealing with someone who knows exactly how to negate both verbal and physical aikido pretty effectively. In these times, the options are to switch to a different tactic or dig even deeper to MAKE your Aiki response work by being even more centred under the increased reisistance, and "sticking to your game" so to speak.

I aim to make my Aikido work as well in non resistant situations as in those where people are resisting to their very best. If Aiki is meant to bring harmony out of any type of conflict, then it should be able to work against resistance if the situation arises, without the Aikidoka having to enter the fight (i.e. struggle, war, win/lose) mindset.

To me, competition style randori training helps to a good degree in that area, as we learn to adapt even more with the tactic and rhythm of the attacker, while staying centred and applying the principles, even in the face of skilled and focused resistance.

Just &4.99 to add to the rest.

Onegaishimasu

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca