View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 12:24 PM   #103
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
Michael - my old instructor does make his living off of aikido and we had to pay for kyu testing. The higher the rank, the more the cost. i don't have a problem supporting the dojo, but then again, not all certificates are accepted at all dojos. YOu know what I mean!?
People come down on both sides of the professional versus non-professional aikido instruction issue.

I, personally, am not about to try to make a living off aikido. I have a good profession now. OTOH, if I did try to be a professional, I would probably be able to offer more classes and other services to my students.

As a brief example, I'd probably be able to offer kids, beginners, and daytime classes. As it stands now, we're going to struggle to offer a fourth class per week that will be dedicated to beginners.

NZ, I think I attended a seminar at your old instructor's place and spent time around him while he was talking to the instructor giving the seminar. If this is the same guy, I can pretty well tell you that he's not making much of a living off aikido.

Don't get me wrong, I think $300 for a not-so-well-accepted shodan rank isn't kosher, but I don't know too many people making a good living off aikido.

I was charged $200 for both my shodan and nidan. I know that I got my shodan for barely above what the Aikikai charged at the time and I know that I got my nidan at cost.

Another thought, NZ, perhaps you should relocate down here where the winter is short and the aikido is inexpensive .

Regards,

Greg Jennings