View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Honorable Intentions...

One of my students just left for college this year. In the first few months of her training, her mother expressed doubts about the intentions of every guy in the dojo! When she eventually convinced her mom to come check us out, I was confronted with the question, "If aikido is so great, then where are your girlfriends and your wives?!" I said to her, "My fiancee is going to night class to work on her masters degree in theology. She thinks that aikido is good, but there's other stuff she'd rather get done... she's just like you." While she pondered my first statement, I followed up with, "We're training her with techniques that are designed for dealing with men with bad intentions. 'Sempai' means 'elder brother', and we are all her sempai." In the months and years following, our student's mom grew to trust us with her daughter, even with road trips across the state!

Try to show your mom some literature about aikido, and stress that that's what you're there to learn - not Omoto Kyo or any other religion. If circumstances permit it, try to get her to a class. Express to her how important SHE is to you, and that you'd like her to do this stuff with you. Even if it doesn't work, at least you did something to try and fix the situation.

Take care and good luck!