View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Buck
United_States
Re: Pneuma, prana, spirit, ruach, and so on...

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
This is an ever returning subject, of course. The nature of ki. It's not at all something unique to the Eastern traditions. I recently published a book exploring lots of synonyms to ki - such as prana, pneuma, spirit, ruach, and on and on.

Aristotle was probably right at the core of it, when he wondered what makes it possible for us to move. To the ancient mind, voluntary movement was what defined life. So, the life force was something that made us move.

As I have said many times on this forum, I like to think of ki as the ether of intention. We will to move, and the ether or agent of this will is ki.
At least, that works well in the budo applications of ki
I like what you said here, no too many people talk about how differently people thing then (when the term ki was coined) and now. Today, we understand more of our world and what we are then past generations. Ki was a word or term to describe something that honestly was not understand very well, yes it was applied, but not well understood. Because of the lack of understanding ki got a myriad of definitions. People though the ages morphed it, because I guess the idea of ki came from China, and the way chi is written is describing empirically (best they could at that time) a natural action. How that action was applied and how it was communicated was kind of up to anyone interpretation, and the way to teach it for centuries, and even to day people don't agree on a single meaning or have the same way of communicating what ki is. But in our modern times we are getting closer to that because we undertanding the natural world.

Some people resist change, others don't, l don't resist change. I think to think of ki more as intention like you said, then anything else.

Zoombie ki- it is funny that zoombies can run, yet no matter where you run to, they are always standing right behind you groaning. I have never seen a zoombie run, its gotta be the bad knees. What is with all Zoombies having bad knees? Frankinstein's monster had bad knees too. So what is it about such monsters that have knees that don't work? I wonder if Dracula had a bad back from all that flying around. Zoombie and monster threads gotta love the classics.

Last edited by Buck : 08-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.