View Single Post
Old 08-12-2002, 03:22 PM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
interesting concept.

I was reading the post on Kotodama and was excited to see something of a "higher" topic than some of the post we see in the other threads.

I am interested to see what they discuss and what I can learn from it.

Then I was thinking, I would love to participate and ask questions. Isn't that the whole purpose of this list is to teach and learn from each other?

I was also thinking. 20 years experience in Aikido is fine, but I have 20 years of knowledge in things as well, even though it may not be in "aikido". I have about 20 years experience in "budo" both as a career soldier in the military and as a 10 year martial artist and about 15 years in philosophy. With only 6 years experience in Aikido..why does this make me less qualified to have an opinion on the same subjects?

Why put a fence around knowledge only created through Aikido? Is kinda like keeping the gene pool limited.

I can certainly appreciate what is trying to be done with it, and I sincerely hope that it will encourage our senior members to contribute things of value to the community.

I think we should also consider that it could become a "clubby good ole boy" environment where they pat each other on the back without critique from us "less experienced" persons.

I have seen this happen in a few dojos, especially when they have a reputation to uphold. You know the type, will only work with "approved ukes" who know their magic, surround themselves with things that insulate them from the world, etc.

I am not trying to bash the idea, Actually I welcome it....just another perspective to consider!

I would like to learn more about the kotodama, in fact last night I dusted off my Bill Gleason book and started reading it again.

Maybe we can all read what they write and then start other threads that discuss the thread!