View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

A few more thoughts. I think this might make more sense.

If you have Roy's DVD, watch it. Note that in all cases or practical application that Roy is in a position of dominance. that is, before the wristlock will work, you have placed uke in a position in which you have kuzushi, or are in a dominant position.

That means that you have choice, you have control of the situation in order to gain control of the wrist lock. They don't work otherwise.

Therefore, if you are in that position, assuming that there are no weapons involved, then what purpose is the wristlock anyway? It becomes the next level of escalation, which in all cases I can think of, is unethical and excessive in the use of force. You can keep the threat of it there, but the actual use of it becomes un-necesary.

This is a big reason why we spend so much time in BJJ on teaching positional control/dominance before we even touch wristlocks. Again, I won't even teach them until the senior blue belt level which is well over a year of solid, dedicated BJJ training.

However, not to be "too sarcastic".....

Many people will buy a tape like "secrets of the wrist lock" and look at it in isolation of all the other factors and dynamics of a situation and think that they have something powerful and proceed to ignore all the other important aspects of the situation that actually are present.

Then we end up with aikidoka that say "I tried aikido on my friends and it did not work. therefore, Aikido does not work in a fight."

Or we get someone hurt badly because they did not understand they full dynamic and range of what it is that they are training.

Wrist locks are not for controlling people for the most part. Positional dominance is primary or that. I'd spend time with your students on these aspects first.