View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #74
Janet Rosen

Re: More on High Break-falls

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
If Nurse Janet is reading, she might have some insight on the relative frequency of head/tailbone injuries (falling backward) vs. hand/elbow/knee injuries (falling forward). I personally know people who have done both.
Don't know about relative frequency...I do know what women who fall forward are VERY prone to the Colles fracture, a particularly nasty form of wrist fracture (and why I love Ellis Amdur's Ukemi From The Ground Up dvd, which early on shows an easy-for-newbies-to-do-at-home exercise to build better body habit!) while those who fall back/side are prone to hip fractures....
of course, how one loses balance dictates whether one falls forward or back. It's the training that allows the body to choose the correct response.

Sometimes on high velocity forward (like over bike handlebars) extending forward, then tucking and rolling even into multiple rolls to eat up the energy is appropriate, but if "uke" sees that forward rolling is going to roll her into trouble (wall or traffic) an experienced body can bail on one, redirect energy to one side of the body, and transform that roll into a breakfall landing. I've done it.

Going backwards, well I"ve never been a fan of backrolls and since my knee blew out don't do them at all - all my back ukemi is some sort of fall, soft style round fall or solid breakfall depending on the situation.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield