Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #23
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Thich Naht Hanh

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
I bought his copy "living Budah Living Christ" -
however I related, or was able to extract more from Thomas Mertons book on meditation - seeds of contemplation. (Thomas Merton actually 'recommended' Thich Naht Hanh, and is why I got the book to begin with...a Christian Monk who had no beef with 'questioning' his beliefs and 'hanging' with people of other faiths. Might not seem much, but his milieu isnt necessarily that supportive.

Peace

dAlen
Slightly off topic, as I venture into Merton land with you, but to me it 'does seem like much that he was hanging out with people of other faiths'. One reason is that 'it' (defined by me here as fundamental religious dogma) is not only an unsupportive milieu, but there is violent backlash for speaking and behaving out of the stream. While I do not advocate for the idea that Thomas Merton was necessarily murdered during his lectures and move toward eastern inclusiveness in Catholic teachings, there was such speculation because of the audacity of his thought and teachings in that regard. A simple act of inclusiveness can be a revolutionary act.

I would also like to add that I love 'Living Buddah, Living Christ". If we could, as a people, embrace living buddah, living christ on a level of 'living aikido' we'd be in better shape..

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 10-02-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems