View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: Heart in martial art ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Yes, I also found it in the first couple of hits on a google search, it seems to be dealing with bridging the gap between science, psychology and spirituality through neuro science.
Very interresting, but since itīs not widely accepted knowledge (to my very limited knowledge about the subject) at least I would be carefull not to jump to any conclusions.. but very interresting indeed. I was not aware either that the heart is such an complex organ, and neither the rest of the body btw. but very interresting to study
Cheers !
I would not draw any "new age" conclusions, but it has been proven that the heart is much more then just a muscle or a pump. As such it is not so much "not widely accepted knowledge", but rather a matter of not fully understanding what is going on. It is part of what is called "new biology". New Biology goes against the old mechanistic view of the body and of nature as a whole. New Biology is about understanding how one part of that whole connects with an other part of that whole. It has tremendous consequences for the way we treat forests, plants, gardens, animals and humans. The problem is that this approach is fairly young, new biology started in the 80's - 90's and that the knowledge is still very incomplete. But everyone agrees that the human body is far more complex then we ever imagined. The heart is a good example. I have no doubt that new biology in time will have a positive impact on Aikido and other Budo. Although I do not know if one could really receive memories of someone else's life, when getting a heart-transplant?

Tom