View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Four Generations of the Ueshiba Family

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Doshu is the figurehead of aikido within the Aikikai and representative of its founder. You know that no one is saying he can inspect every person recommended for accreditation. In fact, I am not aware of Doshu ever overseeing an examination to recognise anyone�fs skills in the art. I don't think that is Doshu�fs job. Aikido is the centre. Doshu represents aikido and its founder. Proper form, proper etiquette (Japanese reigi) are all recurring impressions left in the founder�fs students. You know that the local fourth â€"dans and world famous 9th dan run the tests and make the call on recognising transmission. To do otherwise breaks lineages and potentially valuable views of the art leading back to the founder.
Of course, he can't, that's the point. The problem with the lineage system on a large scale is that it breaks down and there are no checks, no oversight on it.

Imagine a system in which a doctor can license other doctors - who can then license other doctors on their own. Would you trust yourself to such a system?

That used to be the way things were done, but on a large scale it broke down for the very same reason that the ranking system has broken down.

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
For a second, I thought you were going to suggest solutions to the things you think are problems...rather than just effectively saying �glook, a problem... and here... another problem.�h However:

What models? You say �ga number�h but what organisations? How do they provide real benefits?

Again, what models of peer review? What do these models do to provide meaning for a �greal�h licensing system?

Regards

Carl
There are dozens of professional organizations and assiociations in the US that provide resources and professional development for their members. The American Medical Association, for example. These organizations can also provide legal aid and advice, insurance, discounted membership purchasing programs and much more. In other words, tangible benefits.

Models for peer review are also quite common - virtually all US institutions of higher education are accredited through non-profit organizations and associations that provide peer review for those institutions. It seems to work well enough for accrediting Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

It seems to me that those two models are two concrete suggestions for solutions, but maybe that's just me...

Best,

Chris