View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Shuhari

Quote:
Graham,

You posted a thread on this. I bet you believe that you are one of the few who really understand this concept . Shu Ha Ri 守破離 which kanji or part of the kanji mentions "stealing"?

Perhaps you can answer this in your original post to avoid distraction from this thread.

Regards

David Y
Thought this thread was a non starter by the above replies, especially yours, so I haven't been distracted I've merely moved on.

Anyway, to address your new question I will as always give my view.

Kanji, mmm, who knows? I don't read kanji. However I do read English.

Now as far as I know shuhari refers to a way of learning, that's point one.

Secondly it refers to three steps of learning. So that's point two.

Thirdly I would thus assume that the kanji you refer to represent those three steps. So I will give you my understanding of how it translates in English and you may feel free to correct if necessary.

Shu meaning to learn, to follow (technique)

Ha meaning break away (take away or collect)

Ri meaning Fluent (to blend together)

Now as I said, westerners and others even in big business refer to this, relate to this shuhari and use it. They understand that techniques are merely the application of certain principles. That's all a technique is. So they look to see what principles are being used and learn only those principles. That's step one.

They then go away with those principles and apply them to what they are doing be it computer technology or whatever. Step two.

They blend them with the principles they are already using and come up with new ways of doing things. Step three. Shu ha ri.

Most of them say, including the two famous ones I mentioned in the o/p it's like stealing the principles but in a good sense. Thus it shows that understanding the principles gives you something to take away and work with not trying to copy the techniques.

I did say I believe many don't understand this and that is because over the years teaching people that the principles is all they should focus on if they really want to learn is met with disbelief only for them later to say AHHH, you've been saying that all along. I also said it because over the years also on meeting different Aikidoka and showing them basic principle I have met with, the mojority of times, responses which show they have never considered or been taught that way. Generally thinking principles are techniques or 'basics' that they then find are not quite basic at all.

But there again I point out that many in the world also do understand and learn this way rather than by gathering lots of data and seeing all data as of equal importance. Thus the more data the more intelligent. Oh, please. Empty that cup.

Now I don't mind really if you call it 'ho bi dee' or whatever but I am saying that I think O'Sensei learned this way and expected others to.

I hope that explains my thinking to you sufficiently.

Regards.G.

Last edited by akiy : 12-07-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag