Thread: influence?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 05:28 AM   #7
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Paula,

I think everyone who teaches anything imparts a "spiritual" message through their behaviour and, more often than not, through the gap between their espoused values and their values in action. Often their "transmission" causes contradiction or confusion in their students, which for some can become a source of spirtul growth if they struggle to discard the shallow "either/or" views of superficial morality. For others it merely creates cynicism and contributes to the reality they already exist in.

No one can teach what O Sensei taught, unless they have the same background, life experience, and divine illumination (whatever that was!), they can only teach their version, which is mostly storybook stuff.

However, here's where I concur with what I think is your underlying question. Is Aikido without the moral, ethical and spiritual teaching which belongs to it still Aikido? Well,IMHO, if you view the Do as a ladder, then it depends which rung you are on, but it is still important to make sure you on the right ladder, before you ascend too far.

With respect, Michael, I most definitely disagree with the idea that everything comes through the waza. If that were true there would not be so many cases of high graded teachers and students whose charcters leave much to be desired, if measured against the yardstick of Budo and Aikido. the waza CAN be a vehicle for learning and embodying the spiritual aspects of an art, but there is no guarantee.

While we are at it, anybody out there care to venture a definition of what we are all talking about, this "spiritual" something or other, we are probably on a number of different pages.

regards, Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.