Thread: Crisis of Faith
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #23
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Crisis of Faith

If you look in these forums, you will find the question of does "aikido work" and having faith in own Aikido ability has been discussed lots of times, for thousands of pages.

It seems the short answer set goes like:
1) to Stephen Irving: Your Aikido might not work, others are able to use Aikido for actual fighting.
2) to Stephen Irving: Almost all Aikido techniques are not unique to aikido, rather same techniques exist in many other Ju-Jutsu styles (and , with slightly larger variation - almost all martial arts) . Those styles are mostly reputed to be "fighting styles", hence you shouldn't doubt the technique, they are as good as punches and kicks (those too have limitations).
3) to Stephen Irving and Julia Campbell: You may question the specific technical variations you are being taught (I have seen places were the sting was taken out of some leverage techniques to "make them safe" or worse, through lack of understanding) .
3) to Stephen Irving and Julia Campbell: You can also question the learning process, are you given enough challenges to your level in your dojo: Uke behavior (another issue thoroughly discussed here over so many posts and threads), the situations (I practice Aikido Vs strikes and punchs most of the time for the last 20+ years), the existence and nature of "free play drills" (Randori / sparring etc.).

And last, personally I keep the belief my knowledge of Aikido is inadequate for a fight, andlower than the level expected of a person two ranks below me, and inadequate. It's very simple, every time I get close to a some expectation, I immediately raise the bar.e.g. "OK, so can face a punch to the face, but how about it starting from half a step distance instead of full step?", or "Can face a mid speed free play attacker, how about one who knows what he is doing - has a level similar to own or higher in other M.A. and knows some Aikido too?"
I have kept this mind set for a long time, until I had to lower my practice attendance so now I keep a safe distance from my expectation bar. ;-)

Amir