View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #94
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: More on High Break-falls

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Nice ukemi at 4:30, but not spectacularly good. Not like the Isoyama video. I would call the ukemi at 5:25 somewhere between very bad and terrible. Very high potential for injury there. The same goes for the ukemi in the videos that were previously linked to. The training may have been slow and gentle, but the ukes were consistently catching themselves on their arms which has a very high potential for injury.

Overall, I tend to agree with what you are saying, Graham, if not the confrontational tone you are taking, or the execution that tends to be demonstrated in the videos (with a few exceptions).
Hi Robin. I see your view there.

However, I think here lies the difference between demo videos and these. In a demo vid it's all prescribed and certain uke's are used. Thus at first I wouldn't use parts of mine in this thread and because of that received acuusations.

Now when I do you seem to be viewing them as such, a mistake my friend.

To understand my videos in particular, based on past opinions from here, I suggest don't even try for you will be way off mark. This isn't a boast it's because my Aikido is way different from anything most have experienced so comparing it to what you're used to will lead to many false assumptions.

The one for example you call very bad I have in another post explained what happened there. Yes the form was bad, twisted, but unless you know why what can you say?

The type of 'throws' techniques we do by form you may recognise but by execution I doubt.

The point of the op was teaching how to harmonize with the mat. By your comment on landing on elbows it shows me you are missing a point. The point I made was that you can land any way you please, on your knees, on your arms, on your back, whatever if those principles are in. The difference is to know when you can land one way and when you can't. You say great potential for injury. I say no injuries. Therefore there is something we are doing you are not aware of. I can imagine now walking into some dojo and telling them to just fall on their arms or elbows or knees or backs and then watching everyone get injured, it would happen the way they train and go down. So two different things there.

That demo video you show is just that, demo. No comparison. For you it may equal many things for me it equals first, the past. Second, a competent display of certain skills. That's about it for me. The uke was bouncing up to attack again and again. I used to be used as such in demos but hardly relevent to the points at hand for they are repetitive breakfall attack scenarios. The op is basics before you get anywhere near there.

Regards.G.