View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #178
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
ironic isn't it, considering the topic of the thread? telling folks to stop arguing doesn't work out as you hope does it? welcome to life.
More ironic to me that a forum filled with people who train in a martial art that is supposed to 'meet' 'blend' 'guide' 'find harmony' etc... end up clashing and falling all over the verbal/written floor. Although I am seeing some nice back rolling and some attempts to 'get off the line' but that is about it.

And even funnier is those who know it is not an encounter that one will be able to apply actual technique with so with so they take the highest order of philosophical Aikido and apply it instead and 'simply are not there' to be part of it. (just sit on the side lines and watch the classic 'thread de-rail' train wreck.. 8 pages and still going strong. )

Sometimes when I think that could make the effort to write another wall of text in an attempt to bring peace to this thread (and the many others like it), to the parties involved within it and their issues with each other, themselves and their various points of view... I realise I could just go spend two to three hours training instead and most likely 'feel' like I get more out doing that. You know, that feeling of a tangible, positive result from learning something or helping another Aikidoka learn something they were over looking in their technique? Yeah, that is a great feeling. Something solid at least.

Also, I tend to find doing solo weapons work to very relaxing and almost meditative and can get lost in it for hours. So many subtle nuances in it that translate so well to open/empty hand... yet so simple at the same time. Good for your own development and may allow you to pass something on to others you train with later.

So given the choice, and we always have a choice, I recommend that stepping away from the keyboard/smart phone/tablet (whatever you method for viewing and replying is) and do a little training with someone or by yourself with weapons will go further in personal growth and pay off when training with others and possibly 'try to teach and explain it all to someone' who is 'right there with you' than trying to express a point on here on the internet in the hopes of changing another persons mind/views/opinions.

Do not get me wrong, I am a hypocrite at times too... because once in awhile I kind of 'try to instigate that change by expressing my views and seeing the reactions of others.'

I do not resist that knowledge or try to. I simply acknowledge that 'the situation changes so I myself must consider that, be aware of it, blend and change myself' or else I could find myself in conflict with the situation and worse, with myself over a moral/intellectual situation because I was unwilling to blend and change.

In those situations I will admit/say I was mistaken, wrong, that I misunderstood or that what I believed, felt, thought 'then' no longer applies 'now'... at the very least, it may not apply in the same way.

So even though I will agree with someone's thoughts on the mind vs 'being' and all this other existential stuff that surrounds us, it does not mean I or we are the only voices we need to hear anymore. I always keep my ears, eyes, and especially my mind open to further possibilities as I never know when the next tiny grain of enlightenment will pass me by. Its source could come from even idiot babbling away on the internet.. however from a certain perspective it could be 'spiritual gold'.

Differences of opinion and belief... only acknowledge that it is not the same as your own and be a peace with that. Arguing a point with all the facts you want with someone who is only does not even begin to acknowledge your position but continuously side steps it and even chance you make to assert it is well.. oh wait, that is a good example of getting off the line and 'not being there'... but on the internet it feels like being 'trolled'.

So this reply is my attempt to bring a little perspective back here and to remind people not to feed the trolls... especially the little troll that lives inside yourself that may be trying to get out and feed itself on here. Better to read first and when you feel you are being trolled... step away, go practice or train and do something truly productive. Then decide that even if you are / were being trolled on these forums... does it really matter? Compared to what you were doing when you were training and practicing?

If you feel you are being trolled. Ask once. Check it once with the general community as it gets done here. After that.. just avoid the troll lest you become one yourself in any attempt to engage it. Any attempt at all.