View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #29
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba (O-Sensei) in 1968

I am pretty sure you are mis-reading what Szczepan meant. I wont say 99% but if you watch these high level competitions (even quite ordinary shiai) once the judoka attempts the technique the success rate is very very high. The skill here is positioning, setting up and not committing to the technique when the time is not right. Part of the problem with Judo shiai is that it is often a waiting game - it is rarely technique on first contact.

Also I will say that no matter what the level of competition you still don't know what the Judoka will do. It could be one of his usually 3-5 known toku waza, it could be the new super secret one trained behind closed doors, or something that just was right for the situation based on years of experience. Any preparation is a matter of probabilities.

Finally - in Aikido practice we know exactly what the attacker is going to do or at least the expected attacks are very narrow. Not quite sure what was meant by "Aikido is also not a competition. In a real situation, the attacker *won't* know what you are going to do." but I do hope that it is not implying that aikido is superior in preparing you for the hypothetical real situation.

Last edited by PeterR : 08-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido