View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #35
dbotari
Canada
Re: Bad news for Aikido book fans...

All,

Good news! I have just recently heard that Aikido Jinsei - My Life in Aikido by Gozo Shioda has been published in English. The book is being published by Shindokan Books, the same publisher that put out Aikido Shugyo by Gozo Shioda a few years ago. The translation is done by Chris Johnston and Jaques Payet - the same team that did the translation for Aikido Shugyo.

For those that are interested, here is some info from the publisher's website:

"Aikido Jinsei, is the autobiography of Shioda Gozo, the founder of Yoshinkan Aikido. First published in Japan in 1985, Shioda Sensei uses this book to share his experiences, his aikido and his way of life with his readers. Aikido Jinsei is remarkable for the author's extremely candid approach. Throughout the book, Shioda Sensei openly shares his most personal experiences from his childhood, his time during the war and his training with the founder of Aikido, Ueshiba Morihei Sensei. He shares key insights about Aikido which he learned from Ueshiba Sensei and he clearly documents the events after the war which led to the establishment of the Yoshinkan and his own unique brand of Aikido.

Aikido Jinsei - along with its sister volume, Aikido Shugyo - are indispensable reading for anyone interested in the history of Aikido and the life of Shioda Gozo, one of the most dynamic martial artists of recent time. This first ever full and complete English publication includes a Foreword by the author's son, Shioda Yasuhisa Sensei, Aikido Yoshinkan Soke."

http://www.shindokanbooks.com

I have enjoyed reading the excerpts of Aikido Jinsei that are available on the web and look forward to actually reading the complete work.

Osu!,

Dan Botari