View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Re: Aikido, Cross-training, Aiki and the Arts

Thanks for the comments.

Chris, I have a few questions if that's OK.

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Morihei Ueshiba, of course, used both terms [aiki and internal power], and also appears to have made a distinction between the two.
1. Chris, when you said Morihei Ueshiba used the term internal power what phrase did you mean?

2. Do you have any examples of Morihei Ueshiba using the word aiki when it can unequivocally mean internal power and only internal power? Rather than aikido or aiki arts or something more general. Perhaps there are layers of meanings in some of Morihei Ueshiba's teachings but there are some doka that that are large in scale. Like this one from The Essence of Aikido.

Quote:
the great universal
path of aiki
illuminates
all people
opening the world (to the truth)
3. I don't know anything about the Aunkai but Minoru Akuzawa seems to have had a background in Chinese martial arts and started teaching this internal work relatively recently. The Tempukai and the Ichikukai are interesting examples of serious cross-training. But I don't know if that kind of ascetic training develops the kind of internal power you refer to.

Most aikidoka who have trained with Tada Sensei would probably consider that he shows internal power. I certainly do. What is your take on that? Do you think he does? Great interview with Tada Sensei on your blog by the way, thanks.

4. So I can see more clearly what you mean when you talk about internal power can I ask you what you think about Takeshi Yamashima? I saw that you invited him to teach a seminar in Hawaii. Do you think he has internal power? So you can see what I mean when I talk about internal power again I certainly do.

Thanks.

Niall

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog