View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #182
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: Is it still Aikido if you take away the Japanese clothes, etiquette and other things?

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I am just pointing out that setting, mode of dress, social customs, lineage, and technique are all entirely of the same class of thing that Christian was talking about. I.e. its Fujis to Galas here. These are all things that are apt to be local to a dojo and handed from teacher to student. Their existence will be, for the most part, not due to a critical process but are more of "that's just how we do it." They are cultural.
And I don't disagree. This is a very good explanation of why these thing are a part of aikido, and perhaps even a case for keeping them in aikido. But neither of those things, I think, answer the central question of the thread.
Quote:
Physical principals are possibly not on that list because you haven't defined them - and depending on how you define them, they are also going to be cultural, or they are not going to help you establish a non-universal definition of Aikido.
I think this is another false dichotomy. Physics are universal. They are independent of culture. But that doesn't mean that particular ways of utilizing physics cannot help us identify a martial art.