View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #28
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: "Irimi" by Ellis Amdur

Kevin, I started to quote something in this post, but it's pretty much the whole thing that should be in the marks... This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time. Truth from those that have been there and done that. One of those truths is that if you produce a knife, someone's most likely going to get cut in the struggle. It often isn't the original attacker. I carry a Benchmade and sometimes teach "special students" that have reached a level of ability where they can really do what's necessary structurally speaking how to use this as a tool to help them rather than the opponent. As you've been "preaching" for a long time now, of doing what we "can" do given the circumstances and taking the best control position possible while gaining the advantage. It's not "fun" practicing this if it's done properly and most people in a dojo don't want to do it. This level of practice isn't done during regular practice in our dojo. There are practices that can build posture, distance, timing, etc. under stress that can lead up to this though. Most aikidoka don't train that way. Thanks for telling it straight.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org