View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #61
Eric in Denver
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: A Primer on Aikido, Aiki and IS

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post

lately, i have a mind that we should have started the IS training here, dantien/hara movement, before other aspect of IS.
Interesting you say that, Phi. I worked with the suit in finger tips stuff for like a year, and got some sense throughout a large part of my arms, little in the back and kidney area, but couldn't really do anything with it.

Towards the end of summer, I got some feedback, which basically lead me to starting everything over again. So I started back with leg strengthening, being relaxed while standing, jinpath/weight underside practices, and gave up on the finger-tip jin stuff. I also went back to abdominal breathing instead of reverse breathing and started working on feeling suit from abdominal area out instead of the other way around. I feel like I am getting a bit further along now.

If I am in a stance for torifune, I can now use my breathing to rock forward and backwards on my legs a few inches, and can get just a litte motion from my arms. Interestingly, I tried it yesterday while holding a flimsy jo made from a superlight wood, and I completely lost the sense of being connected. I think I have a long ways to go before I get up to pole shaking.