View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #1609
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
"Who am I?"

See if you can guess what that was an impression of.

Hong Jun Sheng.

Quote:
Hong Jun Sheng - tr. Mike Sigman wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/200210292...www.neijia.com "It is clear that the fundamentals of taijiquan is the reeling technique. The appearance of the motion in Chen style taijiquan is helical.This form of spiral movement not only appears on the surface of the skin,but also appears inside through the whole body. It causes every joint,muscle bundle, and even every cell to experience motion. Through repeated stretching and twining in the training for a prolonged period of time, the body will naturally attain a resilient and elastic strength that is loose and yet not loose at the same time. This is the silk reeling jing.In the Chen style this is also known as peng jing, or the neijing commonly known in taijiquan literature. Chan Fa, the 'technique of reeling',then, is the various application of this strength." ...

"We must understand how to apply hardness and softness, what is softness, what is hardness, and how hardness and softness can interchange and compliment each other. People who do not study Chen style taijiquan, or study it but don't understand the technique of reeling, when they apply hardness and softness their motion are usually linear. Or maybe they understand how to move in large orbital curves, but they don't have the spin coupling with the orbital motion. The result is that when they use hardness they feel they are resisting, when they use softness they would feel they are letting go. All motion in Chen style taijiquan, whether it is large or small, are spinning. If you turn half a circle, you have 180 degrees of arc composed of points. At the contact point with your opponent, if you meet the motion head on (meeting the point), then you feel hardness; if you meet the motion from the side (meeting the arc), then you feel softness. If your point meets the opponent's arc it will slide over and becomes softness.Only if you meet point with point will the hardness appear. If both sides meet each other head on, however, it becomes resisting force with force. At this point, whoever has bigger strength and faster motion will bounce out the weaker and slower. In Chen style, although you need to use your point to attack the opponent's point, you should use the point in the arc from the spinning motion, so during fajing there is no feeling of resistance."
You don't get to invite me to put words in your mouth and get away scot-free.

Hmmm. No feeling of resistance. Point to arc. Arc to point. Perpendiculars. [tangent/centripetal] Spiral movement. Orbital and spinning at contact. Yeah, maybe I'm out of my league here. To see this as a merely nominal differnece of terminology of one essential set of concepts in application and engagement of physical forces, is plainly wrongheaded. Guess, I'll just revert to my roots and drop all this pretensifying

Gee. I cain't reckon it. Shore wish us dumb rednecks had us some o' that-there "meckanicks" ta handle this-here "orbital/spinning, helical, arc-point, no resistance" -type stuff. Way over my poor haid. I mean, hoo-eee! Daayum!

[spit some chaw]

I'll jest git some 'shine tuh loosen us right up afore we commence to wrassle summore. Gonna suplex ya sure, this time. Gosh, golly -- "Payng Jeeng?" What could we be talking about ? "Faw Jeeng?" What could that be? If'n don't nobody wanna wrassle -- I'd just haul off an' backhand 'at sumb*tch into next week.

I'm jest stumped.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 08-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.