View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #49
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Randori...we don't do enough of it

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Very good. When you say instinctive I take it you mean spiritual. Spiritual ma-ai is something I never hear discussed.

Peace.G.
I do not attempt to separate spiritual from physical. I am unsure what you mean in your term spiritual maii. For me, I say, there are no winners in a fight, only survivors.
How do you survive?

1. Don't get hit. How do you not get hit? Move both feet. Follow the geometry of evasion. All attacks work on an arch and/or radius. PI is present. Trust it. It is a sacred geometry.

2. Don't get mesmerized by the moving glitter. It absorbs your attention and you get clocked from somewhere else. Plus, if you process through your eyes/brain, you are too slow. Feel movement like fish feel other fish in water. Move with the ebb and flow by way of your hara and you will not be too slow.

3. Do not stand double weighted. It is a stagnant kiss of death. It will cause you to use your eyes and brain, then you will have to shift to one foot. That is wasted time. The hara initiates movement best when you are primarily weighted on one foot.

Just a start...

Chris