Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Randori...we don't do enough of it

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Not me.

While perhaps technically true, what is the implication on applications of today? How often is a katana encountered? Chain weapons? Probably not many death by morningstar... Just a few less than died by throwing knife I'd guess...

though I'm not well versed in the nuance between someone throwing objects vs. slicing and blunt trauma instruments.
Many folks have talked about self defense.....
Application..

Chains are everywhere and act like whips. They can also wrap around you and slap you
unconscious if you try to block them.
A thrown knife must be avoided with body pivoting or footwork. Yet the thrower is still closing
upon you and is not yet committed to an angle of attack. Thus, there are two maii to be aware of.
I trained most of my art for the last 20 years to apply to bodyguarding. Has anyone considered
this? If you are protecting yourself, the dynamic sphere is fine and dandy. But if you are protecting
your spouse and kids, that same sphere is likely going to drive the attacker into a loved one.
Thus, I shortened my entries and kuzushi in all of the traditional techniques so I could make them
applicable to 3rd party protection. I train Multiple Randori with 3rd party protection in mind.

I am simply suggesting that we not only do more Randori; for it is a beautiful training platform, but to mix it up and challenge ourselves with modern realities.

Namaste,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.