View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #56
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Ki Symbol Re: Any offensive moves in Aikido?

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote: View Post
How do you blend with a person who is not attacking? As to my understanding, one blends with an attacker's energy and redirects that energy .
I agree with John. There is a lot of stuff being written in this thread by people who are talking theoretically about stylized training - not practical applications. If there is no energy there is no aikido because there is no ai and there is no ki. If you do an atemi (= attack someone!) and they throw up their hands in self-defence or run away you might be able to do something - but it wouldn't be aikido. And attacking someone who is not posing a threat wouldn't be aikido either - it would be completely alien to the philosophy of aikido. And has anyone ever seen a top teacher do that - attack someone? So the honest answer to the original question is no - there are no offensive moves in aikido.

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
If the person doesn't attack him, he shouldn't need to defend himself. As far as I know guards don't just beat up on prisoners not trying to harm them.
But Don is right (and Alberto is right too)! So aikido is OK after all...

Last edited by niall : 05-02-2010 at 08:19 AM.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog