View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #68
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: philosophical or practical martial art?

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I think only if I respect someones authority, his thoughts are worth to discuss them?
You're saying that only if you respect someone's authority are their thoughts worth discussing, right? Love this.

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I stated that I see different ways of aikido. And just to illustrat this I said: One way delivers dangerous atemi. The other way even does not break the balance of uke (see below), because it is considered to be to aggressive.

My point or better my question: Is it possible, that such different ways of practice will lead to the same spirituality? Will they create an identical thinking or feeling? An identical philosophy?
And you may add: Will delivering dangerous atemi lead to a certain spirituality at all?
<hobbyhorse>

I'd ask rather, will practicing an Aikido that doesn't even break balance because it's "too aggressive" lead to any spiritual growth at all? And I'd answer: hell, no.

Will practicing a potentially killing atemi to the throat lead to spiritual growth? Very possibly.

Spirituality is not fluffy bunny rabbits. Spirituality is not about everybody feeling good, or being affirmed and validated. Spirituality is not about refusing to engage with each other and the reality of the world around us. True spirituality deals with the world as it is and teaches us how to be fully human within it.

Not so long ago a friend of mine gave me a severe scolding for something I'd done (not to him). We had a fine argument but parted friends: I expect my friends to tell me when I'm screwing up. If they won't, who will?

Atemi to the throat says: You're vulnerable. You're over-extended. Your actions are bringing about your own destruction. You have chosen badly. Aren't those good things to know?

Where Aikido differs from jujitsu and other martial arts is that in Aikido, the message doesn't end there. In Aikido, the message is: You're open, but I don't need to exploit it. You're over-extended, but I remain centered. Your actions and choices do not constrain me--even if you choose aggression, I am free to choose a different path.

Don't you think those are spiritual lessons? Do you think you can practice them for hours every week and not internalize them to some degree?

</hobbyhorse>