View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #67
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States
Re: philosophical or practical martial art?

Carsten:

Don't other budo aim for the same?

Perhaps, I thought that the quote was relevant to our discussion regarding whether Aikido practice is still Aikido practice if one does not fuse all aspects of the practice.

Doesn't this mean you have to be clear about which spirituality you already have and bring to the dojo?

I interpret it as meaning that O Sensei did not think it mattered what one's religious background was, one could still develop spiritually through practicing Aikido.

Well, I think only if I respect someones authority, his thoughts are worth to discuss them?[/quote]

I think perhaps a language barrier is coming into play, because I am not sure that I understand what you are asking. But to restate: I was simply saying that I choose to give the opinions of the people who trained directly under O~Sensei a lot of weight when it comes to defining Aikido and the purpose of Aikido. That was really my only point with that comment about respecting their authority. I didn't mean that I am not interested in hearing other's opinions.