Thread: Shihonage Ukemi
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #25
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Shihonage Ukemi

For the first variation shown it is required that nage have actual control over uke. Its probably the most gentle way to take ukemi from shihonage but is somewhat difficult as uke needs to be at least a little be flexible and nage, again, has to have control of uke. When this happens (as is taught for this basic technique, to include ukemi), uke and nage maintain a very high level of connection with each other and nage can basically set uke down as gently or rudely as desired (there are three angles for nage to take uke down).

Key points: keeping head connected to your own elbow to prevent shoulder seperation, nage should have uke's elbow fully extended to get actual control (not just uke falling down for nage)...this kind of control will pop uke up on his/her toes because the hips are popped up and the shoulders are extended back and down as much as uke can stand before compromising balance. The nage in the first video is doing a different variation of shihonage so its not being shown in the exact original intent...in case there is some confusion on that. The above-mentioned compromised balance continues to the mat...which nage maintaining control all the way down vice uke doing a step-back or sit-back breakfall and chasing uke down to the mat. Nage controls uke's decent because nage has stolen uke's balance. The pin then should be the continuation of this motion, uke's shoulders and elbow pinned, face up, to the mat and energy projected forward which keeps uke's hips popped up thus taking uke's feet out of the equation. I always thought it a temporary pin, but after trying it in jujitsu class as a hold down it worked better than I thought (held down while uke was trying to bump out). Hard (for me) to explain, but I'll see if I can find a good clip of it..including the pin.

The first clip also shows a sit-back breakfall version.

*Important note: the first clip is't to be considered what Yoshinkan is practicing these days...its from a derivative and hasn't been taught at Yoshinkan Honbu since before I was born.

The second clip, I'm not that familiar with...I know it from that clip actually. I think its Ando Sensei, so that's probably more close to what is taught at Yoshinkan these days.

Last edited by Adam Huss : 08-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!