View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #1277
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Uhm...no coincidence as my post #1266 was quoting David's post #1265 which referred to "sapping the opponent's energy"
Does it really matter that -you- chose to use the same term as me quoting David? What's up with that? I'm not keeping score or trying to arrive at a concensses here. We don't get along, and everybody else hates us both...er...yeah us!
No, I just meant that "sapping the strength" would be a good baseline skill, now that we've both brought it up within a few posts of each other. The topic has been discussed a few times in the past and, as I noted (I wasn't even thinking about David's comment), I mentioned once how it was done, but it's not that big of a deal because it still uses the same basic skills you mentioned.

And it's done the same whether in Chinese or Japanese martial arts, too. My beef in the recent flurry was this idea that Chinese and Japanese arts are somehow "different".... not in basics, they're not. And if anyone wants to name an example of something really different in principle, I'd be happy to hear it.

There's a saying: "There are many jins; but there is only one jin". The basic neijin (which is called a number of other things) is the core jin from which all other jins derive, and they are only variations of that one jin. This is the same jin that is the core of the Japanese arts (assuming the person knows how to do this) and the Chinese arts (assuming again it's not just some external techniquey thing). How could it be otherwise? Does someone think that "Ki" is somehow some different animal than "qi"?

FWIW

Mike