View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 03:53 PM   #1181
DanielR
Quote:
James Giles wrote:
the recent media reaction to Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" kind of gave a wake up call to me about not only who seems to be running the American media, but the fact that Jews and Christians don't share the same religious beliefs after all ...
My impression was that the whole ordeal was initiated by certain Jewish organizations (Anti-Defamation League for instance) raising concerns that this film would trigger anti-jewish sentiments. I for one would not make such a fuss about it, especially if I wanted to minimize the possible anti-jewish reactions over this. In any case, what in coverage of this topic made you reach those conclusions? Would you prefer the media ignored the issue completely? Or covered it in a different manner, and if yes, how?
Quote:
...I do disagree with their [Jews] intolerance of others who choose to believe in Jesus Christ or Mohammed or whoever...
And what would be the examples of this intolerance? I hope this is not based on the 2000 years old incident, is it?
Quote:
...just think how intolerant they may be of Islam and the Palestinians over there in Israel...
Again, do you know of any specific examples that would justify such a heavy suspicion? Just in case you're only speculating, here's something you might find interesting:Arabic in Haifa schools
Quote:
...perhaps both the Palestinians and the Jewish civilians are both victims of an intolerant, tyrannical Zionist government?..
Both Palestinians and Israelis are victims of a very old and complex conflict. It takes a long time and a substantial effort to fully understand it.

Last edited by DanielR : 03-10-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Daniel