View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #59
GovernorSilver
Re: Complementary Aikido Styles

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
No, but many warm up drills are universal, and they can bee sen as part of the regular PE class, at least in my country.
Interesting.

I've only been to Aikido dojo in the United States. The warmups tended to include wrist stretches (ikkyo, nikkyo, etc.), some joint mobility stuff, some other stretches, and of course some aiki taiso stuff.

No wrist stretches, aiki taiso, etc. in any Judo club I've seen. Instead we jumped over 1-4 partners (with roll after jump), carried partners, practiced bridging movements like the shrimp across the mat, etc.

The only thing I recall seeing in common between Aikido and Judo warmups was the practice of the forward roll. I think it's because Judo clubs want to train their members for competitions. In a tournament, if you win your match, you will have to fight in another match. If you win that one, you will have to fight again, and so on. Thus you might have to fight multiple matches in the same day. That requires conditioning.

Granted I have never been to a Shodokan Aikido dojo that actively participates in competition. Perhaps I would see more similarity to Judo warmups. Or maybe not.