View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #30
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: bokken suburi questions

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
... how far off do you think you are from Aikido? Here by Aikido I mean any form of Aikido practiced while the founder was alive, that is closest to what you do.
Interesting. Actually I think, that just this is a good way to come near to what aikido "is". And this way is not that eclectic like it seems when you describe it. It follows a certain common thread and the parts of it are closely interwoven. So it's a kind of logical "progression" within a certain thread of the transmission of aikido.
(Please see PM.)

But:
Quote:
I think that this question is pertinent to any Aikido practitioner nowadays (myself included) but especially to those who are reaching into other arts to supplement their training.
Why do you think this to be pertinent?

I have to admit, that my image of aikido is more influenced by certain teacher who are still living.I don't know whether this is right or wrong, but I simply notice that I don't have the intention to "become like Ueshiba". But I indeed have the aim to be able to do "what XY does". Or "what YZ shows".
It was in the year 2009 when I saw, what I, myself, think aikido really to be.

It think this is very closely connected to what Ueshiba taught. But, I can't deny that, It is not him, who gives me my image of aikido.

He is the founder of the ryu. But a ryu is a living entity, a flowing rive. I think?