View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #85
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States
Do symbol Re: YouTube: Kanaya Hirotaka Shihan

I used to train regularly with Kanaya-san back in the late 80s and early 90s, usually at his home dojo on his property or at the Hachinohe Budokan (which was conveniently located directly across the street from my then-girlfriend's apartment). To say that what he's doing in this videos is very (very) different from what I remember of him would be an understatement.

The best way I could describe the Kanaya-san of that time is as an unmovable side of beef. He had arms like my legs and there was almost nothing a 20-something year old me could do to get him to move. I find the change in his approach interesting.

I haven't seen or spoken to Kanaya-san since about 1993. While I don't get back to Japan much these days (let alone Aomori-ken), I'd love to reconnect with him and chat someday. If you see or talk to him, please send him my regards. It's hard to imagine he could forget the only red-haired Japanese speaking white boy in Aomori-ken, but it's entirely possible. I think I still have a picture somewhere in the Ippai Mori Dojo with his (then-little) kids riding on my shoulders.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館