View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #24
brUNO

Dojo: Jita Kyoei Dojo/Dallas, Texas
United_States
Re: Aikido spirituality and life after death

I was raised in a strong religious background. I believe my father to be a "man of God", truly striving to do his will to the best of his knowledge. I think my father is a spiritual man without a cruel bone in his body. It is safe for you to say, "I believe my father is a religious and spiritual person." But I also believe that "Religion" and "Spirituality" are not necessarily the same thing. I think one can be religious and not have a clue about spirituality and that one can be spiritual without religion.

I think religion has more to do with doctrine and spirituality has to do with our relationship to the universe we live in. Maybe that's a little to cut & dry, but I still feel there's a difference. I hope you get my point.

I do believe there is a spirituality connected to Aikido. I do not, however, think it is a religion. I try to practice Aikido with a spiritual mindset but I don't pray to Ueshiba, sensei for forgiveness or salvation. I've adopted the "go through life, uplifting all beings and doing as little harm as possible" philosophy, and its difficult sometimes not to revert to my original nature. That being said, I want to apologize for some of my earlier inflammatory responses. Sometimes I still like to play the Devil's Advocate... it's deep seeded, but I'm working on it.

Oh, and I do believe in life after death... but the jury is still out on the whole reincarnation thang.

Last edited by brUNO : 06-01-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: additional comment

Bruno
"A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He's about absolute vulnerability."
- Socrates