View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #191
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Richard Haight wrote: View Post
Mike, my tests specifically exclude any possibility for timing to come into play (have you tried them?) Please do, and discover what I am referring to. I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying and I have misunderstood you on a symantic level (I don't think I am right now though).
I didn't try your tests, Richard, mainly because I don't think words ever convey those things very well. If you have a video showing exactly what you mean, I'll give it a try. However, please note that the reactions of Uke were a primary consideration of mine. For instance, I noticed long ago that the student of a teacher can get thrown far more easily than a non-student. [quote][[snipsky]]

Quote:
Regarding secrets, The fact is that a great deal of Koryu are secretive. The reasons for this vary, and they are not all ill-intentioned. I am not a teacher and They are not my secrets, so I am not trying to kid anyone or paint some big image of myself. I came here merely to clear up some misunderstandings about some of the teachers that are taking flak here without good cause. You asked me to participate in a discussion here, and I did my best to within the restrictions that I have agreed to with my ryu-ha. Half-assed never works and I should have known that from the start.
As I said, I think that each person has to do what he wants to do. In my own way I'm careful about who I show things to, so that's a form of exculsivism, too. However, I'm trying to step around the "secrets" guys and make sure that the more open and sharing get a head start on the "secrets" groups so that the long-term effect of "secrets" doesn't lead everyone back into the morass again.

Best.

Mike Sigman