View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Are you partial to a bit of Martial

Hi everyone.
Thought it's time for a new perspective on this idea of Martial, as in martial arts, and to show how it fits in Aikido and thus you will see in all martial arts. This is of course my view, my perspective, my understanding which I have decided may be food for thought.
When I first heard the term aikibunny I was amused to find out what it meant, I'd never heard it before, coupled with the fact that people keep going on about matial effectiveness and what that means. All very amusing to me but I didn't know why I found it so amusing. So on studying all the various viewpoints and 'shouts' about reality I thought it is time for what I consider reality on this subject.
So let's take the word martial and instead of just having it as a label, like a one thing, let me point out that their are many aspects to this STATE OF BEING.
Yes first and foremost it is a state of being, thus from it you get martial intent. It's nothing to do with 'thinking like a killer' or 'being prepared to fight like an animal' or even to damage which may well happen depending on the circumstances. It is to do with something completely different.
Just like there is a huge difference between pulling and drawing as in gokkyo, between avoiding and harmonizing with the motion as in all aiki motion etc. so there is between what most seem to consider is martial and what actually is.
To show you what I mean I'll use the sword as an example.
So let's get to basics right here and let me explain the basics of sword work. The first thing you have to learn is how to face a sword, basic. First you need a partner who can cut through with the sword, slowly at first while you are taught how to move, unarmed, to harmonize with the motion. Where you can move, timing etc.etc. until you can feel comfortable facing and being in that position which represents so many things to the mind and introduces so many different emotions and feelings to avoid, escape, run, etc. All non-martial I may add. So you see you are thus developing something through that practice alone.
Then we come to the other side of the coin, you being the one with the sword. Most people think that's the easier side thus you will find that those who do are either unreal and only wake up when they find they can be hit too, or are unreal because they imagine it's easy to damage another person.
You teach the person to cut through and the emphasis is through. No different to hitting through. There is a massive difference between hitting and hitting through, striking and striking through. If you ever observe a fight and see two people going at it so to speak, if you really observe you will see they are hitting at each other, whether connecting or not, and even if they are angry you will be able to see they are actually holding back their power, it's all tensed up, constricted in their body yet their faces are so aggressive. Of course it will be damaging to that degree but it is nowhere near as powerful as the image suggests.
Now I'm saying this because if you think you are doing something TO the opponent then that is not through, that is at and in terms of the sword that would be a chop rather than a cut. You see the reality is it takes courage to cut through. I saw David Orange mention his dismay at going to a dojo where they were avoiding doing so, I don't think he'll mind me saying that, and I too would be dismayed to see that but the reality is MOST people have a BIG barrier to cutting through and that is why I've chosen to use the sword in this explanation.
To get through that barrier completely is what results in martial being.
When you can comfortably be there with no thought of avoidance and running away and at the same time knowing with the same confidence you can strike through, complete with willingness and ability, that is the stae of being I call martial.
On all levels this applies from physical to mental to spiritual. When you get through that barrier then you have no counter thoughts in your mind, no avoidance thoughts, no fear thoughts, so thats the state of mind and whereas your energy before was either running away from or ridging up against or at best going to the 'opponent' it is now no longer doing so for it is going straight through them as well as out throgh the universe so to speak, zanshin.
If I'm not mistaken I think you will find that the samurai warrior practiced from the viewpoint of 'one cut- finish' no messing around, no getting clever and trying to do something to the opponent, no parry-parry. That's why they hardly ever drew their swords for it only had one purpose and that was to finish something in one complete move.
So there you have it. It's nothing to do with looking mean or acting tough or big muscles or athleticism or evil intent or anything else and when you can maintain that state of being then you will remain calm obviously but more importantly the effectiveness of techniques or even touches for that matter will be therefore martially effective.
I'm sure I don't know it all and I'm sure I have much to learn but I hope that is of some use.
Regards.G.