View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #368
MM
United_States
Re: What is IT?

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
No, it cannot. I define the basic skill set as:

"To make the most use as possible of the ground (to push from) or your own weight (to weigh something down)."
In one sense, I can agree to this. It is a basic skill set. I'd disagree that it is aiki, though.

I think that if you learn to relax and not use specific muscle groups, you can learn a basic way of "grounding". I think that quite a few people in various martial arts can do this. It's a one way flow, either to the ground or from the ground.

I think when people talk about how good BJJ people are doing "internal" stuff, I think they're mistaking basic "ground" skills with aiki.

If all you are doing is letting energy go to ground, then you've only got 1/3, er, 1/4, okay a portion of the whole. And it's easy enough to start people working on that. Unbendable arm? Think of a water hose with water going outwards. That's a one way conduit. Does it work? Sure. Is it aiki? Not in my opinion.

Is it a basic skill set. Okay, sure. I can agree on that.

But, let's expand it just a bit. For example, use the unbendable arm thingy above. Now, let's have a two way conduit through the body/arm where there is water going outwards and at the same time, through that same pipe, there is water coming back inwards. That's a basic skill set, to me. Still not aiki, though.

My thoughts on the subject, anyway.