Thread: Tomiki Aikido?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States
Re: Tomiki Aikido?

I am studying Tomiki in Tampa, Florida with my Sensei (Shihan) and other students. The competition element is not profound in the United States as it is in Europe and other countries. Tomiki shihan combined the elements of Aikido and Judo and felt that Judo's competition element was what Aikido needed. I am commenting based on what I read of the man and what I am being taught. I believe you are right, O Sensei did not approve of this idea that Aikido is competitive. I would go and workout with them and embrace them. You might find that it helps you understand a different approach to an attack or learn how to counter strike. It is still Aikido and there is no mistaking that. Do a little research on the Head Instructor, was he/she a direct student of Tomiki? Where did they learn and by whom were they instructed?

These are important questions to ask because there are a lot of Tomiki schools teaching based on books are someone who saw someone perform these techniques. I also understand that it is a rare treat to be taught by someone who was Tomiki's student. I have that honor and have received one on one training with a shihan for about a year and a half. I am grateful and am blessed for this. I am still with him and our class is building. I say go and introduce yourself and get on the mat. I would be willing to talk with you at more length if you would like.